Saturday, April 10, 2010

My Big Week

I had my first birth this week! I got a call after our small group on Wednesday, to go shadow for a doula and get some experience! I was nervous and ecstatic! On my drive downtown, I prayed and assured myself I knew what to do and that I would do great.
When I got there, she had decided after several hours of back labor, that she would get an epidural. I thought to myself, "great, how am I going to get any experience?!" WELL, actually, when you are presented with a situation that on any given day, you would turn your nose up at, you are probably going to learn something! Not that i necessarily turn my nose up at epidurals, I just wasn't aware of my role, as a doula, when one has been given. Little did I know the work it is to hold someone in a position to push for 3 hours!! WOWZA!! She did so great and worked SO hard for those 3 hours. However, after 3 hours you would think a baby would move down some. Especially after dilating from a 4 to an 8 in about an hour and a half! However, the baby had not made any progress, so they checked to see what was going on. Turns out the baby was stuck in the pelvis and there was NO WAY it was going to move through. So after a very tiring labor, she was told she had to have a C-Section.
So my first experience was different than I imagined it would be, my I'm so grateful I got the opportunity to see things in action! AND, the doula I shadowed sent me a referral of a girl that is due any day! I'm so excited and I'm sure you will be hearing about it soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment